Cabello planchado, pestañas rizadas, uñas pintadas. One among my favourite treats? The sort of magnificence therapies I wouldn’t have even thought of getting again dwelling.
If you happen to’ve spent any period of time in Mexico, you’ve certainly observed one thing: so many Mexican ladies are Glamorous, with a capital G!
And if you happen to’ve observed that, then chances are high you’ve additionally noticed a plethora of magnificence salons, nail salons, and spas of all shapes, sizes, and kinds, making that glamour no thriller in any respect.
The excellent news is that for most individuals, costs are sometimes fairly accessible in methods I discover that they’re not north of the Rio Grande (I used to be shocked after I went for a easy pedicure with my sister in Texas and paid over $60 for it!).
So, how do you make these magnificence therapies occur, particularly in case your Spanish is just so-so?
To begin with, let’s take a look at some ideas for any appointment you make:
1) Look on-line. Most respected locations may have each Fb and Instagram accounts, and you may search for them by typing in a key phrase like “salon” or “uñas” plus the town identify within the search bar. I like this feature as a result of it allows you to take a look at their work earlier than deciding to contact them!
2) Write out your questions and requests in a message with the assistance of a buddy or an AI translator if wanted. That approach, they’ll know what providers you’re thinking about, and you will get assist if wanted in understanding their questions and responses.
3) Use photos to indicate what it’s that you really want (a good suggestion even in your native language); an image actually is price a thousand phrases, fortunately in any language! Pinterest could be an particularly good place to get concepts if you happen to don’t discover something on their native pages much like what you’re searching for!
4) Ask about costs beforehand. Virtually each place may have their worth per service pretty set in stone, so ask in regards to the providers you need prematurely so that you and your funds are ready.
Now it’s time to get particular! Beneath, I’ll listing a number of the hottest magnificence service classes in Mexico, together with key vocabulary and common worth ranges.
One factor to bear in mind: costs will fluctuate by area, in addition to another elements: vacationer space vs. non-tourist space, city vs. rural, fancy super-decorated boutiques vs. holes-in-the-wall. So long as you ask before you purchase, there shouldn’t be any surprises!
From 100-1200 pesos for haircuts; 600-4000 for coloration and particular therapies. Even when we don’t do a lot else fancy lady-wise, most of us do get our hair minimize at the very least from time to time, proper?
Locations to get your hair minimize can vary from somebody’s front room to devoted, fully-equipped hair salons (in case your Spanish isn’t nice and also you’re not adventurous together with your hair, I like to recommend the fully-equipped variety). Most hair salons additionally provide make-up providers for particular occasions!
Listed below are some key vocabulary phrases you may wish to know:
- Cortar (las puntas): minimize, trim (the ends)
- Lavar y secar: wash and dry
- Teñir: dye
- Fleco: bangs
- Capas: layers
- Keratina: keratine remedy (all the fashion currently!)
- Maquillaje: make-up
From 200 to 800 pesos, relying on the service. Getting my nails accomplished is one thing I by no means did again dwelling: too costly, too time-consuming, too chemical-y smelling. However right here, I am going for pedicures at the very least as soon as a month (my native place is about 400 pesos) and nail care and portray (sometimes round 300 pesos) about each three weeks.
Nail artwork is a serious factor right here, so if you wish to go wild, that is your probability! Most locations have a worth for mono-colored after which go up from there relying on what number of designs you need. Right here’s some useful vocabulary:
- “Polish”: That is what they are saying for non-gel (common) nail polish, the sort that comes off with nail polish remover from the grocery retailer.
- “Gel”: pronounced as “hell” in Spanish.
- Acrílica: it’s what it appears like – acrylic!
- Extensión: acrylic extensions
- Acrimano: after they put acrylic materials over your pure nail size, with no extensions
- Diseño: design – if you’d like any particular cute shapes in your nails, that is what to ask for!
- Efecto: particular results, which could embrace issues like glitter, a matte end, or something they should use a number of totally different polishes or magnets to make occur
- Forma (ovalo, cuadrado): nail form (oval, angled)
Need to get up each morning with lengthy, thick lashes? Mink lash extensions have been fashionable in Mexico for some time now, and if you happen to’ve bought 800-1000 pesos for the primary remedy and 500-800 pesos for touch-ups each three weeks or so, they are often nice enjoyable!
Basically, faux “mink” lashes are glued one after the other to your pure lashes, a course of that takes a few hours however that isn’t all that uncomfortable, particularly if you happen to’ve needed to power your self to simply lay there and calm down! Outcomes are fairly, dramatic, and rapid.
- Rizado(a): curled
- Largo: size (additionally “lengthy”)
- Shade: is what it appears like!
- Pure: used to explain a pure (as in, not overdone) look.
- Retoque: touch-up, which for mink lashes, is roughly each three weeks
That is the one factor on the listing I haven’t tried…I’m from the technology of teenagers who overplucked their eyebrows within the ’90s, in spite of everything!
That mentioned, “microblading” has been all the fashion for a couple of years now, and I’ve to confess, I’ve seen some stunning eyebrows on the market currently, not one thing I’d have ever thought to concentrate to. The fee is round 2000-4000 pesos, and the results can last as long as two years.
Listed below are some key vocabulary phrases:
- Grueso: thick
- Tatuaje: tattoo (from what I perceive, microblading principally is “tattooing” one’s eyebrows on!)
- Depilar: take away hair (by shaving, plucking, waxing, and many others.)
That is solely a really quick listing (follow-ups to come back!), however they’re all enjoyable, non-permanent methods to dip your toe into the water of what the sweetness providers trade in Mexico has to supply.
If you happen to’re feeling adventurous, the time is all the time proper to experiment. However even when, like me, you’re fairly conservative and cautious in terms of attempting out new magnificence therapies, you’re certain to be happy with what you discover!
Sarah DeVries is a author and translator primarily based in Xalapa, Veracruz. She could be reached by her web site, sarahedevries.substack.com.