Sargassum season ends, leaving pristine Quintana Roo seashores

Mara Lezama Espinosa, the governor of Quintana Roo, has introduced that the seasonal arrival of sargassum – a brown seaweed that has amassed on the coasts of Quintana Roo and different elements of the Mexican Caribbean – has come to an finish for this yr.

Throughout her press convention final Wednesday, Lezama acknowledged the efforts of all those that contributed to maintaining the seashores clear in Quintana Roo, from the federal authorities to state workers and personal corporations.

The beach area of the Xcaret theme park was closed on Sunday, as workers removed the seaweed.
The state employs devoted cleansing groups to cope with the sargassum that washes up on the shores of Quintana Roo.  (Somos Playa del Carmen/Fb)

She stated that Quintana Roo had put in 8,600 meters of obstacles to include sargassum and picked up 22,128 tonnes of the seaweed this yr. The state has additionally acquired 4 sweepers, a tractor and 14 amphibious assortment belts.

Monitoring of sargassum ranges first started in 2018, after the native authorities declared a state of emergency because of abnormally excessive ranges of seaweed. Specialists have linked the prevalence of sargassum to local weather change.  

Whereas presenting a report from the Nationwide Technique for Sargassum Care, Admiral Abraham Eloy Caballero, stated “this ceremony exhibits how cooperation achieves ends in favor of Quintana Roo and our nation,” including that since 2019, the federal government, personal entities, NGOs, environmentalists, and civil society have collaborated to deal with the difficulty. 

Since 2019, Quintana Roo has collected 225,648 tons of sargassum, a few of which is recycled and used within the building of sustainable housing.

Semar sargassum cleaning
The size of the sargassum downside has meant that even the navy is now concerned in assortment efforts. (Mara Lezama/X)

The Quintana Roo Sargassum Monitoring Community forecast in June that there could be low ranges of sargassum on the state’s seashores over the summer time. At present, 85% of the seashores in Quintana Roo include low ranges of sargassum with the remaining 15% listed as sargassum-free.

With studies from La Jornada Maya, Sargassum Monitoring, Sargassum Hub and Reportur

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *